Monday 9 January 2012

Heterodoxy

When I got in from work this morning, I left a comment on this post, the comment being based around a quote from Nineteen Eighty-Four (not for the first time) - 'Orthodoxy means not thinking, not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness'. Apart from being impressed, as ever, by Orwell's acuity and prescience, it's made me think about how my opinions and beliefs relate to those of the 'general public'.
I'm already nowhere near being in lockstep with most of the people I interact with on a daily basis. The reasons are pretty obvious, really - I'm a gay, atheist boylover, which automatically puts me on a different 'page of the hymnsheet' from at least 99% of the population, but I'm also, in my 'political', in the loosest sense of that word, opinions, both liberal and libertarian, a combination that doesn't often seem to fit together too well. I believe in 'society' in the sense that those who are able to do so should contribute, by way of taxation or whatever mechanism is generally agreed upon, to provide a safety net to those who aren't as able to look after themselves - a 'welfare state', in other words - but I don't believe that government has any business dabbling in people's personal lives, except in enforcing a legal code which prevents harm to others by an individual's actions. To put it in a 'soundbite' kind of sentence, I believe that people should be able to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't negatively impact anyone else. Legislating 'morality' is never, in my opinion, going to work - the American experience with Prohibition in the last century is one of the best examples I can think of to support that particular assertion.
I'm well aware that many people will disagree with my worldview, and that, of course, is their perfect right. Without apology, though, I'll continue to think about issues, as they affect me, as rationally as I can, try to reach conclusions based on evidence, rather than 'faith', and do my best to steer clear of the Orwellian trap - remain conscious, remain heterodox.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Love the post! Cool, well put.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Thank you, as ever, for your feedback. My cyberspace experience would have been a rather solitary one, of late, without your valued contributions.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Sammy,
    that´s exactly my position.
    Thank you for this statement!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guten Tag Nikki
    In this age of soundbite politics and 'reality' TV, and of the fear engendered by the 'if you're not with us, if you're different, you're an enemy' mindset, most people seem to be afraid to think for themselves and reach their own conclusions. My intention, as I said in the post, is to try my best not to fall into that trap, even if it's at the expense of hostility from some quarters.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete