Monday 16 January 2012

No place

....reminds me of a warm, safe place
where as a child I'd hide

More rock lyrics (from Guns 'n' Roses' Sweet Child o' Mine, as I'm sure the great majority would know) which set of a chain of thought. And, surprise, surprise, not a happy one. The next link, the next word in the chain was 'Utopia', More's fictional ideal society, but whose name derives from the Greek for 'no place'. Utopia doesn't, probably never can exist. My personal utopia certainly seems not to exist. No 'warm, safe place' for me, being what I am and wanting what I want. Never has been, almost certainly never will be. 
Just as a bit of timely irony to underline the hopelessness - Planet Rock are, right now, playing The Rolling Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want. Or ever get what you want, as the case may be.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I love those songs.

    Maybe you think too much, sometimes? Just wondering...

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      You're probably right - I'm sure I'd have been less of a malcontent if I'd just fitted into my allotted station in the hierarchy as a working class boy, limiting my horizons to tits, arses and football. 'This thinking business, no good will come of it, know your place.' Sadly, I've been cursed with intelligence and a penchant for introspection - and little good has come of it. Like other elements in my life, though, I can't wish it away, and, in all honesty, nor would I want to. It makes the world a more interesting place, it seems to me, if a darker one, sometimes.
      Oh, and thinking about thinking has given me idea for another post - about thinking. Reflexive, or what?

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete