Monday 2 January 2012

Who does this dick think he is?

I came across this post today, illustrating an attitude which, even by the execrable standards of fundamentalist Christian bigotry, is thoroughly nauseating. Santorum, should the world have to suffer the misfortune of his being elected US president, will look to 'invalidate' all existing, legal, same-sex marriages in the US. Any retrospective law is reprehensible enough, but one that is based strictly on prejudice is particularly objectionable, as far as I'm concerned. To extend this sort of argument ad absurdum, I could be considered to be a participant in a 'mixed marriage' - my wife is a Christian, I'm an atheist. Despite my atheism, we were married in church, because that's what my wife wanted, and I wanted to make her happy. Could some future theocratic government come along and say 'you don't believe in our God, so your marriage vows, and thus your marriage, is invalid, and the fact that you've been married for 20/25/30 years is irrelevant' (never mind my being gay and a boylover)? The 'slippery slope' cliché doesn't even begin to address my concerns.
I fervently hope that this self-righteous piece of shit soon finds his well-deserved place in the toilet pan of history.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,
    I wonder why everywhere in the world, the narrow-minded conservative get so much hearing and win more and more the upper hand.
    Is the reason the 11.September 2001 and the U.S. response to that?
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just a very vocal group of far-right political bigots who think they have a god given right to tell the rest of us what to do and how to live our lives (for their benefit).

    We all hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guten Tag Nikki
    The 9/11 connection is probably relevant to the extent that it's caused people to be more suspicious of the 'other', the outsider, whether that be people of another race, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever. The bigots then play on those suspicions to further their own agenda, or so it seems to me. The politics of fear, which can (and has in the past) lead to some very unpleasant consequences. All I can do is hope that people have learned from the painful lessons of the 20th Century.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Micky
    As I've said in this context before, I have no objection to anyone's private beliefs, and their living their own lives in accordance with whatever version of 'morality' they choose. When they try to impose their world view on me, though, I take great exception. With Cameron seemingly jumping on the theocratic bandwagon, too, the 'eternal vigilance is the price of liberty' adage needs to be borne in mind this side of 'the pond' just as much as in the US.
    Happy New Year, I hope 2012 is a good one for you and yours.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete