Tuesday 3 January 2012

It's not over till it's over

After a little creative perusal of timetables, and with the aid of my wife's generosity in agreeing to give me a lift to the station at 5:30 in the morning, I've managed to extend my New Year break by 12 hours or so, and gain an extra night at home. I was originally expecting to be able to travel back tomorrow morning, until I was taken off of my rostered late shift and put on a briefing day starting at 10:00 instead, but after this morning's investigations, I can still make it to where I need to be (which is in 'domicile-ville', as it happens), with about 15 minutes to spare - if the trains run to time, of course! In the circumstances, I'm prepared to take the chance - these briefing days, as I've said before, are as much about bureaucratic 'box-ticking', allowing the management to 'prove' we're being kept up to date, as anything genuinely substantive, so if I'm a bit late, little as I like being late, I won't lose too much sleep.
The weather might have improved by tomorrow, too (although, as I look out of the window now, it's brightened up quite a bit already) - it was absolutely foul here this morning, cold, raining heavily and blowing a near-gale. As my wife left for work, and I waved her off, I saw a teenager en route for the local senior school, who started back today, looking thoroughly bedraggled - and he still had another 15 or so minutes walk to go, at the point he was passing our house, poor lad. I'm sure my daughter was even more pleased that she would otherwise have been that her school are taking a 'Baker Day' today, and that she doesn't start her new term until tomorrow, thereby not having to brave today's uncongenial elements.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment