Tuesday 21 February 2012

Immortality

On the way to work last night, I got to the station at the same time as a boy of 13 or 14, evidently rushing to catch his train (not the same one as me, sadly). He wasn't the cutest I'd ever seen, but he was attractive enough, and as he passed me, running, on the station overbridge to get to his platform, his grace and natural athleticism brought this thought to my mind - why can't they stay 13 forever? I'll admit that being frozen in time wouldn't be a good option for the individual boy, but in my daydreams, I could wish, I thought. A few more moments of reflection, though, made me realise that, in a way, they are 13 forever - as one generation matures towards adulthood, their younger 'siblings', literal or figurative, take their place. Even specific, cherished individuals have their own version of immortality, in memory - my cousin, or DBJ, for instance, aren't the same as they were in the past, but, when I close my eyes, I can still envision them as they were, and will be able carry on doing so until death or mental deterioration intervene. The beautiful boy, ever present.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B


No comments:

Post a Comment