Monday 18 February 2013

Iconoclasm

I'm distrustful, even, almost, resentful sometimes, about received opinions, about those who would tell me what music/literature/film/food/insert whichever lifestyle choice you wish I should like, and, even more, about those who would try to impose a particular worldview on me. I like to make my own mind up about issues, from the trivial to the life-shaping, and about people, too. I never respect anyone because of the position they occupy, I respect them, or not, as the case may be, for who they are themselves, and how they fulfill the role they're entrusted with. Respect has to be earned in my book, never assumed. And, of course, I fully accept that people should approach me and my views in exactly the same way. I'm not a 'yes man', and I wouldn't respect anyone who behaved sycophantically towards me (not that I expect that anyone would!). My attitude has caused me problems at certain times in my life, particularly in hampering my progression within my company during my years in the management grades, but I wouldn't ever have wanted preferment at the cost of my own self-respect - either promote me on my merits, or not at all. I'm not afraid of tilting at icons, either, be they spiritual or, as in something I posted elsewhere earlier today, cultural. Even if few agree with me, even if no-one agrees with me, I always try to be true to myself. I am who I am, as I've said before, and I can't be anyone else, so I want to live as honestly as I can, especially now that (maybe belated) honesty has cost me so much. And if a few icons get roughed up in the process, sobeit!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I agree wholeheartedly with you! And I'm much the same way.

    But I do think you need to worship the Beatles a little more reverently! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'd much rather worship at the altar of Extreme Noise Terror!
      And, in general, I'd rather make my own mind up about things, as I said in the post, even if it means indulging in that seemingly unpopular pastime of thinking for myself, rather than heedlessly swallowing whatever 'they' think is good for me.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete