Tuesday 26 February 2013

Red-blooded?

I've had to bite my tongue, or, perhaps better, my typing fingers this morning to avoid the possibility of provoking an argument on someone else's blog. I'm happy to address the issue, and anything arising from what I want to say, here, though.
The post in question featured a very well-known female singer, and prompted a response from one of the regular commenters which included the phrase '(she's) pretty hot....I'd do her'. There's nothing like profound and insightful musical analysis, and that, I'm afraid, is nothing like it. If that kind of boorish, disrespectful and, frankly, misogynistic remark is what it takes to be a 'real man', I'm quite happy not to be a member of that particular club.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. It was said in jest.

    And misogynistic? "...having or showing a hatred and distrust of women."

    I don't see where you got that.

    Maybe you're projecting?

    Boorish? Perhaps...

    Disrepectful? No.

    Cheers!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andy
      If your comment was a joke, it was one that seems to me to illustrate an attitude towards women in general, and successful women, a group some 'real men' find to be an affront to their status, in particular, that I find distasteful. That, of course, is only my opinion, and I certainly don't claim that I'm right, but an honest opinion it is. Misogynistic? In the sense of objectification, I believe that kind of attitude can be a consequence of fear and/or hatred of women. Maybe that isn't true in your case, I don't know you well enough to be able to say. There's no projection involved on my part - I have no hatred or distrust of women, or certainly none that I'm conscious of. I dislike everyone equally (joke, of course).

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. I think maybe I have been watching too much "Family Guy."

      (a reference to the recent Academy Awards show.)

      :-)

      -Andy

      Delete
    3. Hello Andy
      That one has passed me by, I'm afraid - I'm aware of the existence of 'Family Guy', but I've never watched it (or, indeed, any TV at all of late).


      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete