Wednesday 13 March 2013

Gutted

Over the past twelve months or so, since that fateful phone call, so much has changed, so much has been lost in my life. But, of all those things, few, if any, have upset me as much as something I discovered at work this morning. Through my job, I get travel concessions, in the form of reduced rate travel on trains and the London Underground. And my dependents also receive the same concessions, more or less. Obviously, now that we're divorced, my ex doesn't fall into that category anymore, but I was under the impression that my daughter would. And she does - but only until her 16th birthday next February. After that, under the rules of the scheme, she will be classed as a 'young person' rather than a 'dependent child', and for her to still qualify for the concessions, there are all sorts of terms and conditions, such as her being in full-time education. No problem there. But I didn't get that far, reading the small print on our work 'intranet' - because the very first condition is that the 'young person' must 'permanently reside with the employee' to retain the facility. While I would love her to 'permanently reside' with me, unless something highly unforeseen happens in the next eleven months, that simply isn't going to be an option. Just at the time that she's starting to use, and enjoy, the travel facilities, both to visit her far-flung friends, and, sometimes, just for the pleasure of travelling - she's evidently inherited her father's 'wanderlust' - she's going to have them taken away, through no fault of her own. I spoke to my ex earlier, to pass on a couple of things, including this news, but the girl herself doesn't know yet, and may not until tomorrow, because I don't whether I'll be able to speak to her tonight, because she's going straight from school to sing in a choir concert this evening, and won't be home until quite late. I know she's going to be so disappointed, which is why I was so upset. When I seem to be in a position to do so little for her these days, to not be able to help her in this way is just soul-destroying.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. Why can't you just tell your employer that she is living with you, its hardly likely that they will do home visits to ensure she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ian
    There's rather more to it than that - the address of her educational establishment has to be declared, which, given that it's about 190 miles away from my domicile, would be a bit of a giveaway. On top of that, I have to sign a declaration that the information I'm giving is true, and if I was found to have given a false declaration, I could very easily be sacked. And yes, they do reserve the right to 'investigate the status of the young person', so they could do a home visit, if there was any suspicion of what they would describe as fraud. I'll certainly do anything I practicably can to help her, but I don't think outright lying is an option.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not like this is your fault. I agree that lying isn't a good idea, if you get caught the consequences would cost more than a few quid at the station.

    I was surprised how cheap travel by train is over there. Hopefully, she'll be able to continue to travel, perhaps some less, but certainly not cut out.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I did manage to speak to my daughter last night, and, predictably, she was disappointed, but she understands that the potential consequences of trying to dodge the rules are just not worthwhile. She's got every intention of making the absolute most of her last eleven months of cheap travel, though, if that's how things turn out. Something might happen in the interim to change the situation, though, stranger things have happened at sea.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete