Saturday 2 March 2013

Sleepless and elitist

I made a substantial mistake last night - I decided that I was tired enough to warrant an early night, and was in bed by 10:45. I slept like the proverbial log - for about an hour and a half, before waking for the first of what seemed like innumerable times at 12:30, eventually giving up the fight at 5:30 when an attack of cramp in my calf convinced me that I wasn't fated to recharge my batteries in any meaningful way, and I got up feeling even more washed out than I had when I'd gone to bed. Not the ideal preparation for a twelve hour shift at work (which, after a little jiggery-pokery turned out to be ten and a half), but I did, at least, manage to get through the day without doing anything too deranged.
My earlier than anticipated escape from work has found me in 'domicile-ville' Wetherspoons on their busiest night of the week. I'm not a wild fan of the pub at the best of times, it's always more convenient than congenial, but when it's full of mouthy yobs and their blousy molls, it's even less palatable. Compared to what else is on offer in this benighted town, though, it's very much the best of a bad bunch. Given that there's no compulsion on me to be here, I guess I should swallow my intellectual snobbery and make the best of it!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Sammy! Putting down my favorite spot in that town! HAHAHAHAHA I'm definitely not a pub person, except when I'm in jolly olde England, and there I make up for all the ones I don't visit here.

    It used to be I couldn't stand the smoke (and $6 drinks didn't help much either, since I can't drink swill, it's got to be the "good stuff" or nothing). Now that the smoke is gone, it's still the price, and the noise, and the TVs all turned to sports, and the lack of ability to "watch" what I prefer to WATCH! The WAITERS to be exact! HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Enjoy a nice night out, catch you later!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      At the risk of repeating myself, the best of a bad bunch! The smokeless atmosphere is definitely a bonus, though, even if the clientele - apart from the odd day, and present company excepted! - leaves a lot to be desired. Oh well, time to give my liver a rest - I start a week of nights tomorrow - no, today, it's after midnight!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete