Wednesday 6 March 2013

Too much of a....thing

I can't say 'good thing', because it involves work. I agreed to go in early last night to cover some emergency leave, and ended up working almost twelve and an half hours, leaving me pretty shattered by the time I got in this morning, more than fourteen hours after I'd set out. I slept reasonably well today, although I never seem to get quite enough sleep when I'm on nights, but that wasn't enough to encourage me to accept the offer of yet more overtime when the late turn shift manager rang me a short while ago, staying on tomorrow morning after the scheduled end of tonight's shift. I already feel like I'm coming down with some bug or other, possibly a chest infection - I'm coughing well, at the moment, whatever it is - and I really don't want to risk exacerbating that situation by ratcheting up my fatigue levels even further. I'm pretty resilient, normally, but even I have some limits.
Too much of another thing, too, in a way. I was tempted to write about a couple of encounters I've had in the past three mornings, strictly visual only, at 'work-town' station, facilitated by my catching a slightly later train back than I usually would, because of the position I've been covering this week, but I haven't got the energy or inclination to become embroiled in another round of recriminations like last week's. There are times when I'll accept the consequences of putting myself 'out there' to be shot at, and fight my corner accordingly, but now isn't one of those times.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I hope your'e feeling better soon! It's no damn fun to be sick.

    We got "lucky" today. The school systems all closed today for students and staff. Us 12-monthers had to go in. The rain/sleet mixture turned to snow, so they announced a noon closing of everything at about 11AM. Our boos came through at 11:25 and said "GO HOME". I can cope with an extra 5 hours at home, which I have used to clean some of my very cluttered workspace!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm still kind of teetering on the brink, health-wise - I guess my immune system is in a titanic struggle with whatever 'lurgy' is assailing me, because I've got back from work this morning feeling thoroughly washed out. It might make for a good day's sleep, though, who knows?
      The odd unexpected easy day and/or early finish often sugars the pill of working life a little - I'm glad you were able to take advantage of yours.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete