Sunday 17 March 2013

Qualification

What I'm going to say is probably going to sound elitist, if not outright eugenicist, but I really think that people should have to pass some sort of qualification test before they're allowed to have children. I've finally managed to get out and about today, I'm up in London, and the dominant theme of the day so far seems to have been the number of parents I've seen who don't appear to have the slightest aptitude for dealing with their children. OK, parenting is a learning process, like most things, but, given the irreparable damage that can ensue if it's done wrong, those who want to reproduce should, in my opinion, be required to prove that they can, at least, offer a minimum standard of care and commitment, and understanding of the needs of a child. Not, of course, that I have the slightest expectation that any such curtailment of the 'right' to breed heedlessly would ever be seriously countenanced, it would doubtless be called everything from communism to fascism if any politician or pundit advocated it, but I believe that if every child was born to parents who both wanted them and were willing to take the trouble to learn how to look after them properly, the world in general, and the lives of children in particular, would be far better.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. China did it, in a way, for years and years! But yeah, I agree. People wonder why Social services has to stick their nose into others' business, but they only touch the worst. What you and I see out in the world daily is frightening on so many levels.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      What I find most frightening is the knowledge that some children have no chance of fulfilling their potential because of their familial circumstances, and that, in all probability, any children they themselves might have will fall victim to the same vicious circle. Call it 'social engineering', if you like, but some way of intervening in that process, to improve the chances of a satisfactory outcome, can't possibly be a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete