Friday 14 March 2014

Another Country

My second favourite film of all time, but it was originally a play, by Julian Mitchell, and a new theatrical production has opened in London, which I saw advertised on the tube on the way back from work the other night. I was, momentarily, tempted to go and see the play, but the film has such resonances for me that I don't think it would be worthwhile, because I would almost certainly spend the whole time simply playing the film in my head, and comparing the play unfavourably. Why? Well, a number of reasons, really. Apart from the subject matter, which is very close to my heart (I won't put any spoilers here, in case anyone who might want to watch the film reads this), the 'look' of the film - the cinematography, I guess - is so beautiful, right from the opening credits, shot from a punt. or similar, adjacent to the 'school', something that could never be reproduced in a theatre, but, most of all, the characters are so imprinted on my mind, having seen the film so many times, that anyone else playing them could never engage me in the same way. Rupert Everett, in particular, is Guy - if there was ever a role an actor was born to play, it must be this one, as far as I'm concerned - but there are others, too, Adrian Ross-Magenty as the only 'junior' with a prominent role, Wharton, is (was!) a little cutie, while Colin Firth as Tommy Judd (a role Everett played on stage, something I can hardly imagine!) is outstanding, a precursor of his subsequent stellar career. I haven't actually seen the film for quite a while - before the meltdown of my marriage, I owned two copies of it on DVD, but contrived to leave both of them behind when I moved out, somehow, one of the most grievous losses amongst all that was lost two years ago - something I need to remedy sooner rather than later. Maybe that might be a good 'mission' for my forthcoming long weekend - scour London for an Another Country DVD! And some eye candy, of course.

Edit: I've just found a full version of the film online - but it was dubbed into Spanish! Bugger!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I will say, at least my former roommate and I managed to divide the DVDs so that I kept my favorites. Your mission sounds like fun.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      It wasn't a case of my ex taking stuff, the DVDs were simply left behind in the old house, along with so many other things, huge chunks of my life, in a material and emotional sense, just gone. That was then, and this is now, though, and a copy of Another Country is something I would very much like in my new home.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete