Tuesday 4 March 2014

Middle Saxon

Well, after my first night sleeping in the flat (at home! - I'm still more than a little giddy about the idea of having a proper home again!), I guess I can now claim to be a fully-fledged denizen of the ancient county of Middlesex, the territory of the Middle Saxons. It's been an exhausting few days to get to the point of being able to say that, though - memo to self, don't move house in between a string of night shifts! If I had five hours sleep over the weekend, that was about as much as I did manage, having had to get to the flat at midday on Saturday to pick the keys up, before spending much of Sunday, with the help of my brother and sister-in-law, making the actual move. At least, given that I was moving from a furnished room to a furnished flat, there wasn't too much in the way of heavy lifting, but there was still plenty of running around, shifting bags and boxes, and a couple of Sunday afternoon shopping trips to get hold of a few things necessary for a convenient life but not included in the flat's inventory, frustrating, in a way, because had I been able to move directly from Cornwall to here a couple of years ago rather than having had to take the long (timewise) detour via 'domicile-ville', I would have had some of them rather than having to buy replacements, as well as picking up some basic groceries, cleaning materials and the like. Then, yesterday, I spent several hours unpacking and putting stuff away, managing, given that the flat has plenty of storage space, to find a sensible place for everything - not that I'm a 'neat freak', but I do like to have things reasonably organised. There are still a few more bits and pieces missing, as I've discovered over the past 24 hours, but nothing major, and nothing that can't be brought home on the bus.
There is, of course, one huge piece of the jigsaw missing at the moment - K. Nothing to be done about that, though, until her exams finish at the end of June, although she will be here for a few days in the middle of next month, during the school holidays. If current plans come to fruition, I'll also meet her gorgeous boyfriend for the first time, because they're supposed to be going to a gig in London that week. That's likely to be an interesting encounter, to say the least!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! As much as I hate moving, yours sounds like it was uneventful. I know you are anxious for K to get there. I was thinking it was sooner than June.

    At least you know K's bf is taken. But a good looking guy around for a few days is great!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Moving house is reputedly the second most traumatic event that people ever experience, next to bereavement, but I have to say that if my move is the most traumatic thing that happens to me in 2014, it's going to be a pretty good year. I always knew K was going to stay in Cornwall until after her GCSE's are finished, but once her school place up here was confirmed, just before Christmas, it seemed to be better to move sooner rather than later, so as not to leave things to the last minute with all the potential pitfalls that might have entailed.
      The situation with K's boyfriend is just a standing joke between us, really - she knows I would never try and do anything to interfere with their relationship, even if I could. But, as you say, a bit of 'resident' eye candy isn't the worst thing that could happen!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete