Tuesday 18 November 2014

If it ain't broke....

I'm absolutely not a Luddite, in any shape or form - I'm a complete advocate of science, and its practical applications in technology, innovation and experiment has brought us from being nothing more than marginally intelligent apes to where we are today, the most advanced known species of life anywhere. (Yes, I'm well aware that the path to where we are, and the way some of our intelligence and its products have been applied leaves very much to be desired, but that, as far as I'm concerned, is a sociological issue rather than anything inherent to the scientific process.) That said, though, there are times when I wonder why some things are deemed to need changing. This little story is, no doubt, a very trivial example of the phenomenon, but, I think, illustrative to the point I'm trying to make.
A few weeks back, K asked if we could have 'proper' roast potatoes as part of a Sunday dinner, something we hadn't had since she moved in with me. No problem, said I, except in one respect. Amongst the myriad things 'left behind' when it all fell to bits in 2012 was the potato peeler. A very simple piece of kitchen equipment, unchanged in basic design for my whole life, but essential to facilitate what my girl wanted. So, when I went shopping for the makings of the meal, I looked for a potato peeler in the local big supermarket. And they had one. But not of a design I'd ever seen before. But, as it was the only one they had, I bought it. When I got it home and tried to use it, though, it proved to be stupidly fiddly and ineffective. Technique, I suppose, or the lack of it, on my part no doubt had a bearing, but I couldn't help feeling anything but that the device had made a simple job unnecessarily difficult. So, when I went shopping in our local town centre yesterday, I managed to find a peeler of the type I'm used to - it was even described as a 'traditional vegetable peeler' on the packaging - at half the price I'd paid for the new-fangled version. and when I used it an hour or so ago to peel the remaining potatoes for this evening's meal, it took, literally, 10% of the time compared to the last, awkward, edition. The 'modern' peeler won't totally go to waste, though - K reckons she can use it for a craft project. Well, my girl, you're welcome. If it ain't broke, don't bloody try to fix it!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've bought a new kitchen gadget in 20+ years, and in fact, some of mine were purchased in 1978 when I first set up my own apartment in which to reside until I finished uni. Over the years, when I would visit mom and dad, they would occasionally have a new gadget - invariably not as good as that which it replaced, but essential in some way. Also in variably, when it did not make things easier, I'd find a newer one, albeit in an older design, there the next time! Well done story! I agree!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Maybe I'm a cynic - no, let's be honest, I am a cynic! - but it seems to me that a lot of this 'innovation' has more to do with corporate profit than any genuine need. Convince the sheeple they must have the latest gadget, and laugh all the way to the bank.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete