Friday 25 November 2011

Aches & pains, and yet another story idea

Another health issue has reared its head over the past couple of days, but not illness so much as 'physical integrity'. For all my vicissitudes over the last few years, I've never suffered from back problems, even in the relatively physically active environment of my previous job, but that seems to have changed this week. My lower back is very sore, but most worryingly, when I rubbed the painful area last night (why, in the face of its complete ineffectiveness, does anyone ever rub an injury?!), I felt something moving below the skin which I don't think ought to have been moving. Visions of a slipped disc came to mind, although, given that I'm nowhere near being completely debilitated, that was probably unnecessarily pessimistic, but something certainly seems to be amiss, to the extent that I've arranged to see my GP next week while I'm back at home. I normally see her around this time of year to review my heart meds anyway, so it could be a 'two birds with one stone' appointment. I could certainly do without a bad back, particularly given the amount of travelling I have to do, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out to be something and nothing. And I seem to be coming down with a cold, but that just comes with the territory at this time of year.
I have been working, intermittently, on a couple of my drafts in 'Nephelokokkygia' of late, but another idea has struck me recently. About this time last year, I wrote a story called Jamie which I was fairly pleased with, and which, having re-read it, I'm even more convinced is one of my best efforts to date. One of the comments I had at the time suggested that it could have been 'fleshed out' more, and that's what I'm now thinking of doing, but with a twist - the 'Jamie' character has a young son in the story, who plays a brief but important role in the plot, and my intention is to write, not so much a sequel, but a parallel story, written from the child's point of view. As ever, I'm giving no guarantees that I'll have either the requisite inspiration or perspiration to make anything of it, but I'm going to give it a try. Apart from anything else, it will be interesting to see if I can put myself into a child's mindset, given how long it is since I was a child myself. A test of my imagination, for once.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hope your back improves. I, because of my physical condition of being way too fat, can't walk more than about 1/4 miles without near debilitating back pain, so I am going back to the gym to walk on the treadmills as I build stamina again. I hope you require nothing more.

    Good luck on the writing. I know it's always great when the inspiration bug hits.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I walk for about 40 minutes every working day, to and from the stations at either end of my commute, and I'm still managing to do that at the moment without killing myself, which I hope is an encouraging sign.
    I'd like to think I can make some progress with the new story idea, but I keep having false dawns in that regard, hence my reluctance to make any promises!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete