Friday 4 November 2011

Cornwall, CJ....but no E

This is yesterday's post, really, but I literally fell asleep in the middle of writing it last night, a combination of not going to bed after nights, travelling and, I have to admit, a glass or three of Chardonnay conspiring to render me comatose at around 8:00.
I got back home at lunchtime yesterday after what was, particularly in its latter stages, a rather messy night shift, certainly a lot messier than I'd anticipated. I managed it pretty well, though, perhaps something approaching definitive proof that I've got over any lingering loss of confidence feelings after my screw-up in the summer and the subsequent disciplinary stuff.
The journey back was smooth enough - the main problem was hobbling up to the station after finishing my shift in time to get the first of three trains to take me home, given that I've been afflicted with yet another episode of gout over the past couple of days (the medication is finally coming to terms with it now, I think - I hope!). My wife met me at the 'town' station so I could drive home in her car after dropping her back at work, but her apparent altruism did have a small hidden agenda - the quid pro quo was my doing the shopping on the way back. To prove that virtue is sometimes its own reward, though, I did have a sweet encounter at the supermarket. Why he should have been there at lunchtime on a schoolday, I've no idea, but I came across an absolutely delicious boy, 12 or 13, really awesomely cute, in the store with an older woman (grandmother, at a guess, given their relative ages) - and I was treated to that most rare of gifts for a boylover, a moment of connection. He was struggling to heft a case of beer into a small space in the shopping trolley on the woman's behalf without crushing any of the other items (I was waiting to pick up my own case from the same display), which he managed just before I got the chance to offer my help. I made a light-hearted remark about his loading abilities, and he turned my way and smiled, lovely white teeth and all. Just an evanescent, never to be repeated moment - as with all such cuties, I haven't the slightest expectation of ever seeing him again - but none the worse for that. And CJ? That's what grandma called him, so the family nickname, I guess.
Being Thursday, I had another cutie on my mind, too - I was hoping E might have appeared to put a free paper through our door, but the publication he delivers evidently isn't a weekly thing (once a fortnight, I think), so I missed out on seeing him again. Two in one day would've been greedy, though, I suppose.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. "I" after "E" except after "CJ."

    lol!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andy
    Very good - all these orthographic rules to remember!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had an uneventful night, and trip, and some eye candy to brighten the day! Enjoy your weekend, Sammy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    Life's never quite as congenial as that, or so it seems. Thank you for the good wishes, anyway.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete