Tuesday 22 November 2011

Targeted advertising, and a nice numerical quirk

I found a junk e-mail in my 'sammyb50' inbox earlier which had evaded the spam filter, and which was a first for me. Presumably some 'web crawler' or other had found my blog, because the e-mail was promoting a gay dating service website. I found it quite funny, really, because my first thought on seeing it was 'there's no chance you would have anyone on your books I'd be remotely interested in'. It might have been entertaining, if I'd been feeling daring, to fill in an online questionnaire completely honestly, but there would probably have been too much chance of the 'paedo police' paying me a visit, so I resisted the temptation without much difficulty.
I noticed a 'round figures' numerical coincidence last night which was quite nice, if completely inconsequential. The first pageview after I'd published yesterday's post, which was the 600th in this blog, brought the overall total of views the blog had had at that point to 14000. Lots of zeroes! And lots of thanks to all of you who come and visit, even if it's just proof of the adage of 'hope over expectation'!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Was it "gayquation"? Or something like that? I got it, too. I suspect lots of us did...nothing like a bot trolling blogger.com and harvesting email addys!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Yeah, that was them. A complete NFI moment for me (Not F****** Interested, that is!). Now, if they could match me up with the cutie I've just seen in the supermarket....!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete