Monday 28 November 2011

I don't want to tempt fate....

....but the first day of my break has been, on the whole, pretty reasonable. The day started fairly early, getting ready to catch the first through westbound train from 'domicile-ville', and rather chilly, too - the fields, viewed from the train window, were more than a little frost-glazed in places, not a sign of things to come, I hope, because the relatively mild weather we've had over the past few weeks is rather more to my taste.
Not that there was any great likelihood of anything too wintry back at home, though, and that, indeed, was the case - it had begun to rain by the time I got off of the bus at our local stop at lunchtime, and it carried on raining for most of the afternoon, but it was 6° or 7° warmer than it had been in Surrey. The usual quid pro quo of our maritime climate, of course.
As usual, certainly of late, I was a little bit apprehensive about how my wife and I were going to interact when she got back from work. In the event, though, it was all quite congenial, once she'd vented about her current job situation, which she isn't very happy with. My daughter and I quickly slotted into our regular badinage, too - while we were out on a brief shopping trip, largely to replenish my stock of alcohol, if I'm being honest, I told her about the 'harem gang' from yesterday, which she found amusing. She found a way of ribbing me gently afterwards, looking at me meaningfully as a teenaged boy walked past us in the shop, then claiming, when I said he was a bit too old for my taste, saying that he was too young for her! Given that she's not 14 until February, and the boy was probably 15, at a guess, it was just her winding me up a little, as her inability to keep a straight face proved, but at least she can be lighthearted about my foibles, something I'm grateful about, given that it could easily be said that I've put too much pressure on her at too young an age by coming out to her, albeit accidentally. Looking back over the 18 months, more or less, that she's known about my boyloving side, I'm convinced we've become even closer than we were already, possibly because she's aware of the implicit trust I have in her, and the way I treat her as an equal, something I would have wanted to do in any case, but has been underlined by the confidences we've shared.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Nothing like a decent day every once in a while!

    I think it's great your daughter and you share such a close relationship. I hope it endures forever!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I hope yesterday sets the tone for the rest of my time off, although the tensions are still around, so it's a case of trying to tread a little carefully.
    My daughter is one of a kind, I think - yeah, I know, paternal bias! - and I'm very lucky to have her. I've tried to make it clear to her that if she's ever uncomfortable with me or what she knows about my situation to tell me straight away, because I absolutely don't want to do or say anything to alienate her. I very much want our closeness to last as she grows to adulthood.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete