Wednesday 31 July 2013

Invitation renewed

Almost a year ago, I added 'An invitation to a discussion' to the sidebar of this blog, hoping to initiate some dialogue around the subject that is one of the main raisons d'ĂȘtre for my being in Blogland at all. The page I posted has had almost 300 views in that time, but, unfortunately, no-one has yet taken up the invitation to discuss the issues involved. I'm well aware that it's a difficult and controversial area to talk about - after all, I live with it, every day of my life - so I'm quite prepared for a far greater likelihood of criticism than approbation, and I have no objection to anyone who so wishes to remain anonymous. All I would ask for is for any responses (by blog comment or e-mail) to be couched civilly, because I'm looking to generate light, not heat, to try to explain, from my perspective, what it's like to live as a boylover in today's society, and to hear the opinions of others. I ended the original post with 'I hope to hear from you soon', and that sentiment still applies.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I think people are afraid of the subject. Afraid that maybe their darkest fears aren't really true, and we all know everyone needs a boogyman. Unfortunately, that might be you. I have to wonder if they think that discussing a subject they so abjectly abhor is the same as agreeing with it, or propping it up, or otherwise supporting it? I know one commented (not an anonymous one) who squeals every time you mention something involving boy love, but he's not willing to discuss it, I'd guess because he isn't willing to listen to reason.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I feel the subject needs to be discussed precisely because it is so difficult, but I think your point about 'guilt by association' is a valid one. It would be a brave person who put their head above the parapet and said either 'I'm in a similar position, and know how you feel', or even 'I can at least admit the possibility that you might not be irredeemably evil'. There are many subjects where people are unwilling or unable to look beyond 'received wisdom', but this is one of the most intractable. There aren't many shades of grey when it comes to boy (or girl) love in most people's minds, all the more reason for me to want to discuss the issue from the 'wrong side' of the fence (in most people's estimation), to try to help people to understand that we aren't all slavering rapists-in-waiting. If that means setting myself up as a target for the haters, then that's a risk I feel I need to take.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete