Friday 12 July 2013

Protest, plans and paranoia

And I could continue the alliteration to ridiculous lengths, by adding pubescent pulchritude and a painful patella, but that would be excessive!
It seems to be my week for encountering the antis - after my annoyance at the bumper sticker I saw last Sunday, I came across another irritant, at much closer quarters, opposite the Houses of Parliament this afternoon. A man, maybe 60-something, was holding up a placard with the logo 'Marriage = Man + Woman'. As I walked past, I was tempted to engage him in discussion, to ask why he thought I shouldn't have the same rights as him (not that I've got the slightest expectation that marriage equality will ever impinge directly on my life), but a moment's reflection made me realise that if one old man with a rather pathetic two foot square placard was the best the 'opposition' could come up with, the battle is pretty much won! Yeah, I know it's not as simple as that in reality, but it was still a comforting thought.
This has been mooted for almost a week, but wasn't confirmed until this morning - I'm going down to my brother's place tomorrow, and staying through to Sunday. I'll hopefully be taking my brother and sister-in-law, and possibly my niece and nephew, depending on any other plans they might have, out for a meal, to at least make a gesture towards some recompense for all they did for me while I was ill. We may be able to meet up with some other friends tomorrow evening, too, if all goes well, so It should be a good trip - and will probably end up with my sticking two fingers up to the rat poison clinic, and not being as moderate in my alcohol consumption as they recommend!
I had a rather silly moment or two of paranoia while I was up in town, as I got the idea in my head that I'd upset someone I didn't want to upset, but, once more, any consideration tempered with the merest hint of common sense would suggest that the person concerned wouldn't even know what I was talking about if the subject was raised directly. I try to be rational about things, as far as I can, but I do let my emotions run away with - or from - reality sometimes.
The couple of subsidiary 'p' phrases came close together, both in terms of time and place - thanks to an unaccountable piece of bus driving, where the driver unexpectedly decided to lurch forward by all of about three feet, despite being in a seemingly non-moving traffic queue, as I was preparing to get off, I smacked my knee against a handrail, leading to the sort of lump normally associated with a bump on the head on my kneecap, while, shortly afterwards a handful of bus stops away on my next connection, three cuties, obviously friends and schoolmates joined the bus. I would quite happily have given any or all of them a hug - or whatever! - given a quarter of a chance, but, needless the say, even a quarter of a chance is way out of reach. C'est la guerre.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. SUE SUE SUE the bus company! HAHAHAHAHAHA

    I agree with you about the protester. There seems to be little gain in engaging with them. They're so dogmatic that nothing you say will change their narrow little closed minds.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Knowing my luck, they'd probably successfully counter-sue me for damaging their vehicle! And as for the anti, I'm happy to gloat in full expectation of his imminent defeat.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete