Tuesday 10 September 2013

Another word I loathe

It's well documented here how much I dislike the word 'paedophile', and the way it's misused in contemporary society, but there's another word which I find almost as unpalatable - 'grooming'. A news item I've heard on the radio this morning makes me wonder if there's any limit to the paranoia on this subject - a UK charity is planning to send out 'training packs' to businesses in the 'retail, transportation and hospitality' sectors to help staff 'spot the signs of grooming'. Are we getting to the stage that any man - and it's always men who fall under suspicion, as far as I can see - seen anywhere in public with a 'child' is going to be assumed to have ulterior motives? If I go to lunch with my daughter, am I going to have to carry documentary evidence that she's a blood relation? The outcome is going to be a generation of young people scared of their own shadows and totally incapable of dealing with anyone outside their immediate families, if this sort of thing is carried to its (il)logical conclusion.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment