Thursday 26 September 2013

Coming down from the plateau of nightmare

Not prematurely, I hope, because I haven't been back to 'domicile-ville' since I left for work at 5:45 this morning, but my title was a phrase I used when I spoke to K a little while ago. I guess it's human nature, though, to assume that if the sky doesn't fall on you more or less immediately, it isn't going to happen at all. I'm certainly not in any such position of comfort in reality, though, there are still all sorts of dire things that could come about, but the longer it goes without such consequences, the more I might allow myself to believe what my brother and sister-in-law said at the weekend about dealing with issues as they arise, as opposed to allowing the worst-case scenario to become all-consuming.
As I suggested yesterday, I've dabbled in online literature this afternoon, as a displacement activity, finding, and reading from cover to cover, as it were, a version of John Wyndham's Chocky, a book I've been fond of for a long time. I was rather surprised to find how much of a parallel there was between Matthew, the 'juvenile lead' in the story, and my Xander, given that there was no conscious association of the two while I was writing my story, but the fact that Wyndham is one of my very favourite writers probably makes the influence easy to explain. I just hope I can avoid charges of outright plagiarism!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Whew! I'm glad you're feeling at least a little better, Sammy. That's reassuring. Hope things continue to at least be calm.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I guess I'm at least allowing myself to hope that not all hope is lost. It could be the calm before the storm, of course, but I'll take any sort of calm, however illusory, at the moment.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete