Monday 26 December 2011

All over for another year

More or less, anyway - I'll be off to bed early this evening, because I've got to set out for Surrey at 3:30 in the morning, to get to work in time for a 7:30 start, and thus endeth the Christmas break, such as it's been. It could be worse, though, because I've only got three days to work before embarking on a long weekend off over New Year.
We've actually been out shopping, normal supermarket grocery shopping, this lunchtime, something which wouldn't have been possible for most of my life - Boxing Day has traditionally been a day when most shops have been closed. It was planned that way, once I knew our regular shopping venue was going to be open today, because I'll be absconding with my wife's car again tomorrow, so we needed to make sure the girls had enough supplies to last until I get back again on Thursday evening. I'll round off my domestic duties for the weekend in the next couple of hours by cooking another roast dinner, albeit considerably less elaborate than yesterday's effort. Justifying my existence, if nothing else.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. I am lucky that I get another week off, the 2nd January is my first day back. But alas, I am alone here so I am concentrating on house work, etc.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammy,

    I shall lift a pint or five to toast Henry Cooper, patron saint of Boxing Day!!!(???)

    lol!

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay
    Family life is a quid pro quo, undoubtedly - it keeps solitude at bay, but at the expense of individuality, to some extent. I see both sides of the coin, at the moment, depending on whether I'm here or 'up country'. Maybe I'm luckier than I think in not having to commit as to which is preferable!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andy
    Saint Henry, one of very few to have forced Clay/Ali to be 'saved by the bell'. A popular hero, and no mistake.
    We Brits have these strange medieval customs - I think 'Boxing Day' is to do with 'gift boxes' given by lords and ladies to their servants in days of yore, but I'm sure there are plenty of other theories about its derivation. Where would we be without such traditional eccentricities?

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete