Thursday 1 December 2011

Who are the barbarians?

I came across this quotation earlier today, while watching a history documentary.

"We cannot command in matters of religion, because no one can be compelled to believe against his will."


Sounds fairly modern and progressive, doesn't it? A product of the Enlightenment, or even more recent than that, perhaps. In fact, it is attributed to a monarch who not only lived 1500 years ago, but whose people are widely considered to be barbarians - Theodoric, king of the Ostragoths (454-526, reigned 471-526). If a 'barbarian' from the so-called Dark Ages could espouse such a belief, why is it seemingly so difficult for so many people in the 21st Century, of many different faiths, to extend that courtesy to those who don't share their worldview?

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Sammy,
    I've commented on this topic on Randy's blog.
    http://wordsthateffect.blogspot.com/
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guten Tag Nikki
    Where I feel I differ from the intolerant people I dislike is that I don't want everyone to think like me. Anyone can believe whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned, but when they start telling me what I should believe, or how I should live my life, that's when I become extremely irritated.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete