Saturday 3 December 2011

Trust

My daughter has now seen my blog. It wasn't accidental, but it happened in a perfectly natural way. She came downstairs this morning while I had Blogger open, and, as usual, I alt-tabbed away to a 'safe' window. We were talking for a little while, and something I'd read in one of the blogs I follow came up in conversation. She asked a follow-up question, the answer to which I couldn't immediately recall, and the easiest way to retrieve the requisite piece of information was just to go to the blog concerned and look. And the easiest way to do that was to go to my blog, and click on the link in my blog list. So we did. Following on from that, I thought she'd be interested in the Theodoric quote from a couple of days ago, so we looked at that as well. In the aftermath, I've told her that she can read whatever she wants, that she can link to or from the blog if she wants, but, purely as a favour, I've asked her not to tell anyone else whose blog it is. It's entirely her decision, but, even at her young age, I trust her. That goes without saying, I guess, because if I didn't, I wouldn't have shared the blog, or the other things she knows about me. A quote I read somewhere ages ago said that a secret is only a secret if two know it, and one of them is dead, but that's the chance I've taken.
I've spent this afternoon dabbling at my Jamie sequel, or parallel-quel, or whatever you want to call it, and made a little progress. I've decided there's no way I can write it from a first-person child's perspective and make it sound in any way authentic, so third-person it will be - if it ever sees the light of cyberspace day, of course.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I've "led" some friends to my blog, but of course, if anyone I knew "stumbled" over it, it would be obvious based on the name, the "psuedonym" and my picture who it belonged to. But at least in my case, that's OK.

    It's awesome that you can trust your daughter like that, and I suspect that will translate into a daughter that also trusts you with issues in her life and she will be able to come to you knowing that you can be trusted with her secrets, too. Somehow I doubt she'll link to it or anything. Then she could be put in the place of having to try to tell someone how she wound up on that blog, because I'm sure her friends, etc. know enough of your story to at least figure out you're commuting to and from London, etc.

    Good on you for working on the writing. Isn't it nice to actually feel motivated? I've gotten more done around the house lately than I have in a long time, motivation is GREAT! Not sure what did it, but I don't care.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    As I've said before, I'm lucky to have such a close relationship with my daughter, and I have no doubt that this latest extension of the trust between us will be beneficial. As far as anyone else who knows me finding this blog accidentally goes, I think there's more than enough here to make identification fairly easy, but, short of dishonesty, there's no way I can mitigate that. If I'm 'unmasked', I'll have to deal with the consequences.
    I'm not sure whether motivation is quite the right concept with my writing at the moment - it may be more like escapism, taking myself away from the problems besetting us and off to a mythical place where people can 'live happily after', because there seems to be precious little prospect of that in my 'real life' at the moment.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete