Thursday 15 December 2011

Rover


I'm a big fan of the 1960's TV series The Prisoner - and yes, I'm old enough, sadly, to remember it the first time around, although it was even more bizarre and surreal to the 7 or 8 year old I was then than it was when I watched it again, 15 or so years later, and it was surreal enough then. For anyone not familiar with the series, it centred around a 'resigned' secret agent who was abducted and woke up to find himself in a strange 'village' where a shadowy organisation tried to extract 'information' from him. Part of the 'security' of the village was 'Rover', which was, for want of a better description, a sort of animated giant beach ball which pursued potential escapees and smothered them, as per the picture.
My latest trip around our financial mess, as I perused our account via my online banking service a couple of hours ago in the wake of my wife having been paid today, brought the 'Rover' image very vividly to mind. Effectively, all of my wife's pay has already gone, with overdue and pending payments, some of which I dealt with this afternoon. I get paid in a week's time, but that's all pretty much spoken for as well. However hard we work, however fast we try to run, we still seem to be slipping ever further into the abyss. Soul destroying doesn't even begin to describe it.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Been there, know how it feels. Money is the root of an awful lot of unhappiness in the world, that's for sure.

    One of these days it will all work itself out, most likely for the better. It usually does for people who just don't give up.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    It's the relentlessness of it all that is so wearing - the problem just seems endless. I know, though, that we're far from alone, and, as you suggest, the only way out is to try and keep going.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete