Thursday 1 December 2011

Another lurch towards the precipice

My wife rang me before heading home from work this afternoon, to prime me for bad news, as I correctly suspected. It looks like her job is in jeopardy again - her line manager is trying to paint a picture of substandard performance, but I get the feeling it's more to do with money. My wife retained her rate of pay when she transferred from her old employer in the summer, and that rate of pay is quite a bit higher than the new outfit would have offered for the post, so my take on it is that they're trying to elbow her out so they can get someone cheaper. Whatever the 'politics' of the situation are, if my wife loses her job, there's absolutely no way, even if I was to work seven days a week, every week (which I'm not allowed to do, anyway, under our working time regulations), and never came home at all, that I'd be able to make up the shortfall, especially given that, in the current economic climate, the chances of my wife getting another job at all, never mind at a comparable salary, aren't exactly promising. Once again, it makes me wonder whether the time is approaching to simply look for an exit strategy. It's hard to justify being away, doing something I don't want to do, if it's all going to the dogs anyway.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Oh lord, Sammy, not what you needed. I hope this does not come to pass.

    Don't know what you mean by an "exit strategy", but I hope it's not what first popped into my head.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    We talked about things late into the night, and I think my wife has decided to fight her corner - if they want her out, they're going to have to have a bulletproof case.
    'Exit strategy' in this context is referring to our crumbling financial edifice - what I suspect you had in mind might come about in extreme circumstances, but not in connection with money, I can assure you.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete