Thursday 20 December 2012

End of the world news

If, as many seem to believe, the world is going to end tomorrow, how is it going to be arranged? If the world is destroyed as soon as any part of the world reaches December 21 (in around four hours time, by my reckoning), I will have been cheated of half of the penultimate day, and those to the left of me on the map cheated of even more. If the destruction happens at the other end of the December 21 spectrum, when the last place in the world leaves that day, it will already be December 22 everywhere else, so that, it seems to me, would have invalidated the prophecy, because December 22 wasn't supposed to have happened. My daughter said last night that she'd read somewhere it was supposed to be happening at 8:21 GMT. I'll await that moment with bated breath. Or not, as the case may be.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Sammy

    I seem to recall the same question came up with Harold Camping's end-of-the-world predictions last year. One interesting possibility brought up then was to have the destruction proceeding in phases, starting at the same local time in each time zone, and thus encompassing at least 23 hours (possibly longer, depending on daylight saving and zigzags in the International Date Line). This does of course require a particularly sophisticated destructive force, familiar with the esoterica of local timezone rules :-)

    If it really does happen at 08:21 GMT, I'll probably be too busy getting ready for work to notice.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      Nice to hear from you, I hope you're well.
      I'd like to think that the objections that seem obvious to us, and the rather flippant way they've been framed, are a sign of the victory of rationality over credulity and superstition. Or is it just that there have been hundreds of these apocalyptic predictions over the decades, all of which have passed without incident? Either way, I have no doubt that your ablutions in the morning won't be interrupted by anything overly dramatic!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete