Monday 17 December 2012

In his own image

'God created man in his own image', it says in Genesis. Some of the reaction to the Sandy Hook massacre has made me think the quotation should be reversed. When the spokesmen of the religious right claim that God allowed a classroom of children to be killed because of the lack of prayer in schools, it seems to me that man has made God in his image - at least, the image of a certain kind of man, the type who might very well own an assault rifle, puerile, immaturely vindictive, seeing themselves as entitled to respect just because of who they are, rather than what they do. Words can barely express my contempt for these people.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it only took 2 days for the Westboro Baptist Haters to stir up the shit again. I wish to God everyone would just ignore them. And of course, meet them at the city limits with pitchforks and flaming torches!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I hadn't seen the Phelps' crowd's contribution, but I'm not surprised in the slightest. I was thinking of Fischer and Huckabee, who both took rather less than two days to weigh in, and who, in a way, I find even more reprehensible, because, in some circles at least, they command a degree of influence and respectability that the Westboro bigots can't approach. Vile theocratic opportunists, as far as I'm concerned.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete