Thursday 20 December 2012

Me, thirty years ago

I'm in Wetherspoons in 'domicile-ville', and I've just seen someone who reminds me so much of my younger self. He was around 20, tall, but substantially overweight. Not otherwise bad looking, though, in conventional terms. He was with a group of friends, chatting to one and then another, drinking his pint pretty quickly while doing so. He smiled, appeared to be enjoying the company, but always seemed to be on the periphery of things. With them, but not of them. How many nights, in my late teens and early twenties, did I find myself in that kind of situation? Being on the edge of things, not feeling included, drinking more than was good for me? More, far more, than I care to remember. Maybe I was seeing what I wanted to see, projecting my issues onto an innocent bystander. I hope so, for his sake - I wouldn't wish my insecurities, past and present, on my worst enemy. Be happier than me, young man. I really mean that.

Love & best wishes to all
 Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I know the spot! HAHAHAHA

    But I also hear you. I've felt that way before, too. Sometimes more than others.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Yes, somewhere that's in your mental photograph album - in the good bit, rather than the bad, I hope!
      I've no idea, really, whether he was actually being sidelined by the group, or whether it was just me, thinking about me, thinking about not fitting in, for more reasons than one. Maybe he's lucky enough to have a positive mental attitude, something that's always been conspicuous by its absence in my case. I hope so, for his sake.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete