Monday 3 December 2012

Role model?

One of my work colleagues approached me this evening, not long before the end of the shift. I've been aware for a few weeks that he's going through the breakdown of his own marriage, and he knows - it's fairly common knowledge at work, although no-one, of course, knows the reason why - I've been in the same position in recent months. What threw me, though, was the nature of his request - he wants, seemingly, for me to advise him on how to deal with some aspects of his situation. Me, of all people, the man whose emotional life has been one long car crash since I was 12 or 13 years old, and who, in all honesty, has never got much beyond that age in terms of emotional maturity. It's on a par with asking Vlad the Impaler for advice on the humane treatment of prisoners of war. And it's not even as if I'm particularly good friends with him - we get along adequately, but I don't see him as anything other than a colleague, and I had no expectation of his attitude towards me being any different. I did make a comment about me not being any sort of a role model, but it didn't seem to deter him. I'm going to be working with him for most of the week, it seems, and it's not a prospect I'm particularly looking forward to, now. I suppose I'll just have to make it up as I go along, and hope I don't say anything that does more harm than good - and that I don't contrive to out myself.
There is a little unexpected light on the horizon, though - it looks like I'll be able to get down to Plymouth to see my daughter play her ukulele as part of her school's Christmas concert on Thursday afternoon, She originally told me it was on Tuesday, but she turned out to be mistaken - luckily, because Thursday is my only day off this week. I should be able to spend a couple of hours with her after the event, as well, so it's a definite win-win.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Listen a lot, talk very little, ask open ended questions that force him to answer his own questions, therefore leading him to his own decisions...that's the role of a counselor - formal or otherwise.

    And it's only 170 straight-line miles to Plymouth, and with your transportation system, it's certainly doable!

    YAY for you!!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Having had a bit more time to think about it, if he does choose to carry on the transaction, following your advice is all I can sensibly do. I haven't got any answers, even to my own situation, so there's no way I can find any to his, so keeping it neutral and letting him make his own mind up, for good or ill, is the only way.
      The trip to my daughter's concert shouldn't be too much of a problem - unlike if it had been a week or so ago, when there was a load of flooding all over the place, and the train service was pretty screwed up. So, weather permitting, there shouldn't be too many issues. I hope not, anyway.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete