Saturday 15 December 2012

Metropolitan Saturday

Most of today so far has been spent in the big city, revolving around my daughter's doings. She arrived at 'domicile-ville' last night, with no great plans to do anything much beyond some supper and an early (by her standards!) night, because the focus of her visit was what was planned for today. She was due to be meeting some of her internet friends at midday, so, knowing that this morning would be pretty much all the time I was going to be with her this time around, we'd decided to treat ourselves to a nice breakfast. And nice it was, my online research having come across an establishment combining an upmarket butchers' shop with a restaurant where they showcase their merchandise, and where we had their version of 'the full English'. It wasn't cheap, but, as ever, you get what you pay for, and, in this instance, everything was very good quality, even down to the bread they used for the toast. Having thus fortified the inner man - and young lady! - we headed up to 'town'. We were running a bit early, so we took a side trip to a place I'd rediscovered recently, and which I suspected, correctly as it proved, that she'd enjoy - Denmark Street, once London's answer to 'Tin Pan Alley', and still full of music, particularly musical instrument, shops. We spent twenty minutes or so window shopping, my girl drooling over the various guitars and similar on display. We teetered on the brink of buying her a second-hand mandolin, an instrument she'd love to own, but it was eventually put on hold, because it would've been a bit cumbersome, given the rest of her plans for the day, and, indeed, the weekend as a whole.
From there, it was off to Hyde Park for my daughter to attend her 'gathering'. I dropped her off just before 12:00, as she got together with the photographer friend that she'd spent time with in Camden at half term. She met up with some old, and made some new friends in the three hours at her disposal, before I returned to meet her and get her across to Euston in time to catch her train to 'Weekend part 2', a visit to the North Midlands to see a gig with another friend, who she's staying with tonight before heading back to Cornwall tomorrow.
Once we'd gone our separate ways, I'm afraid I've rather reverted to type - I've been in what has become my 'London local', the Wetherspoons nearest but one to where I work, for a while now, and I probably won't be going back to base just yet. I'm back to work tomorrow afternoon, though, so it will be virtue perforce from then until Christmas!

Love & best wishes to all
 Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Ah-ha! Now you know what to get her for Christmas! Sounds like normal dad-daughter times, as well they should be.

    Next week at work will be a slog - 38 of 40 hours spent in training. On a very complex system that we will likely use 30% of its capabilities, yet we will be forced to endure "learning" all of its bells and whistles.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      My daughter has already had her Christmas present - in fact, she had it with her and was using it yesterday. I gave her the money to buy a fairly expensive camera, as she's begun to get into photography pretty seriously. She's coming up again immediately after Christmas for a few days, which is certainly something to look forward to from my perspective.
      Work for me will be much as usual, I guess - normal service continues until mid-evening on Christmas Eve, and resumes again first thing on December 27. I hope your training week isn't too onerous.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete