Friday 7 December 2012

Girls, boys, trains, heartache

Sixteen hours and five minutes it took in the end. My day trip to Plymouth to my daughter's Christmas concert. The actual travelling took over ten hours, the return journey in particular being decidedly tortuous, although that was my fault, up to a point - had I left a quarter of an hour earlier, I'd have been back well over an hour sooner, but I decided to stay with my daughter until the last possible moment. In fact, I was seriously considering staying overnight in Plymouth at one point - I'd found a hotel room online - but the knowledge that I would have had to get up ridiculously early to allow enough time to avoid running the risk of being late for work today eventually put paid to that scheme.
The concert itself was much as expected, lots of seasonally themed music and a few Christmas carols, all performed reasonably competently, including my daughter's little contribution, accompanying a Hawaiian-style song on her ukulele. There were aspects of the event I was uncomfortable with, though - the afternoon performance I attended, while open to parents and family, was more for the school itself, so I was one of only a smattering of adults, surrounded by umpteen 11-18 year old girls. Some would find that kind of thing enjoyable, no doubt, but it wasn't my thing, at all - I felt decidedly out of place. I found myself distinctly annoyed, too, about the overt attempts by the minister of the church where the concert was held to proselytise a captive audience of, largely, children, in his introductory speech - the school has a fair number of pupils from a non-Christian background, apart from anything else, as well as, presumably, more than one atheist parent, so for the 'message' to be pushed quite so shamelessly at what was supposed to be a secular event was something I found distasteful. One or two of the songs got under my skin on a more personal level, too - one in particular, sung as a solo by one of my daughter's friends, on the theme of love, home and family, left me aching inside, and fighting back tears. Amongst other things, it's left me doubtful about whether to take up my brother's invitation to spend Christmas with his family - I can envisage myself having another meltdown on the scale of the one I had when I was down at their place just before my birthday. The contrast between what they have, and what I've lost, might be too much to cope with, and I don't want to spoil their Christmas by moping around like a wet weekend. I'll probably have a chat with my brother over the next few days.
Apart from the obvious pleasure of seeing and spending time with my daughter, there were some other bright spots, mostly involving cute boys. Getting off of the same train as me when I arrived at lunchtime were a group of four boys, ranging in age from 15/16 down to 11/12. The youngest boy, in particular, was an absolute cutie, but I'd have quite happily taken all four of them on, simultaneously if necessary! That seemed to set the tone - apart from my time at the church, with its deluge of girls, my meanderings around the city centre offered plenty of very palatable eye candy, and even on the very last train of the day, at almost midnight, I shared a carriage for ten minutes or so with an older teen, maybe 18 or 19, a guitar case strapped to his back, who was more than a little eye-catching. Not, of course, that he'd have been remotely interested in an old fart like me, even in the unlikely event of his being gay, but still pleasant to observe.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. It would seem holiday concerts there are much like holiday concerts here. They always try to toss a little religion in there.

    I'm sure despite the ramblings, watching your daughter perform more than made up for the rest.

    I don't know how I'd feel if I wasn't around family for the holidays. I'll be leaving in 2 weeks for what will probably be about a week's stay with my brother, his wife, and whatever of their family shows up at various times.

    Gotta love the eye candy! The local school system allows students to complete physical education requirements at the gym where I go. So on any given evening, there can be up to a dozen good looking young men working out, sweating, all that! Always a motivator for another trip to AmFam!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      It was good to see the school's best left-handed ukulele player - the only one, as she self-deprecatingly pointed out - and one who plays Hendrix-style, with a right-handed instrument turned upside down, doing her thing, and, as you suggest, worth the gritting of teeth in the face of the religionist thing.
      I spoke to my brother earlier this evening, telling him that the balance of probability is that I won't be there at Christmas, and I have to say he was very understanding. After 20 years of spending Christmas with the same person, this first one back on my own is going to find me far from being good company, I think, and I don't feel it's fair for me to fall to bits at their place and spoil their Christmas too. My daughter is coming up on December 27 for a three or four day stay, so that will be my festive season this year.
      Many pills are sweetened by eye candy, and Thursday was no exception. One fleeting encounter while I was in Plymouth has nudged me into writing another story, albeit not one very far removed, if at all, from most of its predecessors. It should be finished in the next day or two.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete