Friday 21 December 2012

Falling apart in public

Well, nearly, anyway. I've found myself, as it were, in my 'London local' this evening after finishing on a long break at work. They have the BBC News channel playing on the various televisions around the bar, albeit with the sound turned down, and one of the main stories has been 'Sandy Hook one week on'. Anyone who has read my blog in recent days will know that I've been quite emotional, from time to time, about what happened, as much in anger as in distress, given some of the attitudes and opinions expressed by religionists and gun lobbyists in the aftermath. It happened, though, this evening, that I was talking to my daughter while a montage of photos of some of the young victims, and the perpetrator, was shown as part of the report. Whether it was because my parental instincts were piqued, I don't know, but I found myself, abruptly and unexpectedly, on the verge of a tearful meltdown. With a little help from my girl, I just about kept it together, but it was a close-run thing. Sometimes, things happen that really get under the skin. Last Friday's horror in Connecticut is undoubtedly one of those things.

Love & best wishes to all
 Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment