Saturday 12 January 2013

Haunted

I've always been one to hold onto things, things that still embarrass me, even though they happened years ago, and are remembered by no-one other than me, things I wish I'd done differently, or not done at all, things I failed to do that I should have. Sometimes, though, things come to mind that genuinely haunt me. One such is the case of an Essex schoolboy who was raped and murdered by his next door neighbour, a friend of the family, more than thirty years ago. I would guess that the picture of the boy that appeared in the press at the time, a school photograph, a picture of a happy, smiling boy, so pretty, so young - he was a few days short of his tenth birthday when he was killed - finds its way to the forefront of my memory a couple of times a year, along with the heartrending words the boy supposedly said to his assailant, presumably from the man's confession. 'Please, Uncle Barney, please don't'. All I can hope is that if a boy ever says 'Please don't' to me, I won't. I just wish I could guarantee that I wouldn't.

Love & best wishes to all
 Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a huge difference between the sickness that invades the minds of predators and those who love children. Predation is based on power and control, not love and feelings.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I would like to think so, and I would like to think I fall into the latter category. But I don't know that to be true, or what I might do if the wrong set of circumstances appertained. That's why this case, and others like it, haunt me.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete