Tuesday 8 January 2013

Legalised stealing

That's a pretty good summary of my last two working days. I was on a briefing day yesterday, and I've been on an assessment day today, and the sum total of both days, timewise, has been hardly more than half of one ordinary shift. I did all that was asked of me, though, sailing through today's proceedings, in particular, with far more ease than I would have expected. Without wishing to sound complacent, I do know my stuff, in terms of procedures and the way our standards lay down that they should be done, so maybe the odd easy day is the reward for that.
So now I'm off until Friday morning, and, predictably enough, I'm up in London, and indeed, even more predictably, in my 'London local'. I was thinking of doing other things, but, as usual, I can resist anything except temptation, so the pub it is. Now that I've only got myself to consider, most of the time, anyway, why shouldn't I do something I like to do, after all? Life's crap enough as it is, without inflicting unnecessary abstinence on myself!

 Love & best wishes to all
 Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. A new job? Either way, this sounds like a nice set-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BB
      No, just a part of my long-term job that worked out to my advantage - everything has to have a 'paper trail', so we have a 'continuous assessment' kind of system so that the management can 'prove' that our competence is current, in case the ambulance chasing lawyers come calling in the aftermath of any incident. The joys of working in a safety-critical environment, where the consequences of a simple mistake could end up on the national news. But it's still much better than digging ditches!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  2. Well done, gent! Always nice to have a decent accomplishment at work. I made my boss happy today, figuring out something (but only about 15 seconds before he did, but I did get the credit). So perhaps it's going around!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Well done you, too! The odd pat on the back is always welcome, to counterbalance the brickbats, and the odd buckshee half day is even more welcome!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
  3. Hi there, Sammy

    Congratulations on getting through your assessment.

    I wouldn't worry about having a few easy days. As far as I can see, your employer buys your time, and it's then up to them how they use it.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark
      I'm certainly not worried about the easy days - I did what I was required to do, and, at least in Tuesday's case, was told directly by my manager that I was free to go once the assessment was finished. We don't get away with too much, in normal circumstances - it's usually a case of staying until your relief arrives - so I'll just accept what comes my way, and make the most of it.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete