Saturday 21 August 2010

Convolutions

The twists and turns of the brain never cease to amaze me. Through the most circuitous of mental routes, a conversation between my daughter and I about an hour ago, which began with the derivation of the name of a football team, led me to remember a person I hadn't thought about for, at the very least, 30 years, but who, in retrospect, holds quite an important accolade in my life, although he, if I ever chanced to meet him now and discuss the subject, might not find it all that complimentary - the first boy I can recall being attracted to.
He was the same age as me - I was all of 12 at the time - and I met him at a cricket match between my school team and his. His name was (still is, presumably) Glyn, and he was the wicket keeper and captain of his team. He was blond and very good-looking, and I remember spending much of the match watching him. I didn't really understand why I felt so drawn to him at the time, and wouldn't for a couple of years, but, with the benefit of hindsight, I understand now - he was gorgeous! I saw him a couple more times during my school career, always at cricket matches between our respective schools, but didn't really feel any massive recurrence of that 'first hook' - it's only thinking about it now that I realise his significance. There was one other school cricketing acquaintance who had a similar effect, and given that I was older when I met him - around 15 - I had rather more insight into being drawn his way, although I did no more about it. Pat was nice looking, but his main attraction, even to a hormonally raging teen, was his personality - he was really bright, bubbly and funny, just the sort of person many people would love to have been friends with, and the fact that I found him sexy as well would just have been the icing on the cake, had I had the chance to get to know him better.
Speaking of blond and eye-catching, I saw a very pretty little boy when my wife and I went to the supermarket this afternoon. Strictly eye candy, of course - he was only 7 or 8 - but he brightened up what has been a really grey, drizzly and miserable day down here.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment