Sunday 22 August 2010

No muse, no sun

I really felt this afternoon that I wanted to write, and that I might be able to come up with something worthwhile, but, sadly, it hasn't come to fruition. I tried to go back to an old story, the idea for which predates the blogs, but only added a minimal amount, and then had a go at a new story, the plot outline of which has been in my head for a few days, but again, I could only produce a couple of sentences. I know the writing thing is only a hobby, but it's something that I've considered trying to do more seriously, so I've found this afternoon quite frustrating. It's as though I know the words, but putting them down in any sort of coherent order is a step too far.
My mood hasn't been helped by the unabated rotten weather with which my long weekend off has been greeted.  We've lived in Cornwall long enough to expect little in the way of summer sunshine, for good geographical reasons - too much sea too nearby - but, given my longstanding addiction to the sun, there are days when I find wet weather almost a personal affront. If I could persuade my wife it was a good idea, I could quite happily decamp with the family to Gran Canaria tomorrow, and find some way of ekeing out a living, but there's no prospect of her agreeing to any such thing any time soon, and there's no way I would walk out on my responsibilities, so it's a case of 'grin and bear it' for the foreseeable future. There's a severe weather warning out for tonight, heavy rain and strong winds supposedly being on the way, so it looks as things are going to get worse before any there's chance of them getting better.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. It's OK, Sammy... I know that for me, the inspiration to write, seems to come from the extremes of my moods... It's probably not the healthiest thing, but, it's the way it is... I have found that sadness seems to stir the memories to the point that , as I work, during the day, I begin to see the sentences in my head... they construct themselves and, really start to make me anxious that, by the time I get home, they will have vanished forever...
    I have found, tho, that they seem to represent an outline of sorts. They reconstruct almost like a Rubik's Cube, somehow, as I try to put them in script... IDK how else to describe it, but, I think that it is something that NEEDS to come out... So, if you call that inspiration, then, that's what it is, I guess... I find it more of a subconscious thing than anything else...
    Just relax, and, when the 'right' thoughts occur, you will have plenty to write about. There are days when my writing is the last thing on my mind, so, I don't even try to go there... It seems senseless to sit here and agonize over the words that just aren't 'there' for the moment.
    I also shared a laugh with you over the idea of dream memories, and, recording them before you forget... I actually tried that, with a cassette recorder, some 25 years ago... I thought it was a great idea, till I listened to the recordings the next day!! lol They were a pile of gibberish, that must have made sense when I spoke the words, but, seemed incoherent, after the fact!!
    Have fun with the blog... if you don't have a story that inspires you, just talk about the things that you feel, every day... You never know where that might take you!! luv, tman<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tony
    The muse being present or absent, the 'inspiration' or lack of it, is a familiar experience for me over the last year or so since I got back into writing reasonably seriously (on paper at first, then with the blogs since February and May respectively this year). This afternoon was slightly unusual, in that I wanted to write, something or anything, rather than waiting for the right time when it might have happened more fluently. A lesson learned, I guess - as you say, there's little point in trying to force it.
    The dream stuff is quite amusing - I've had conversations with my wife at night that one or other of us didn't remember the next morning, so trying to rake your wits together sufficiently to recall something as ephemeral as a dream is probably too much to expect!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete