Thursday 26 August 2010

Turning outwards

If there was one word to best sum up my blog since its inception, 'introspection' would probably be the one that I would choose. That, in itself, hasn't entirely been a bad thing, because it was one of the originally stated aims of my having a blog, to use it as a sounding board for myself, to organise my thoughts and feelings, and by doing so, hopefully helping me to come to terms with issues in my life. However, there's been rather a preponderance of that sort of thing, a kind of monologue that has been by, for and about me, and I think it's time to diversify somewhat. There are a couple of reasons I want to change the blog slightly, but perhaps the most important is that, as of the end of next month, I'm going to be spending a goodly chunk of my life on my own, once I move to my new job, and if I indulge in too much navel-gazing, it could become depressing to the point of self-destructiveness, which is certainly not the object of the exercise. I also want to try to make the blog as readable as I can manage, and if I carry on spending most of my time in 'woe is me' mode, it's hardly going to inspire others to want to read it. I'm going to try to take advantage of being in the London area by spending some time taking in some of the cultural and intellectual offerings available - I've seen various events and lectures advertised in magazines I read, and quite a number of them are free, so I'm going to do my best to take advantage of what's out there. I also want to follow as much of the Thames Path as I can, allowing for my hiccuping heart and dodgy ankle - it should, given the help of the public transport network, be possible to split the walking into bite-size pieces, so all I need is the time and the weather. If I do have the time and the motivation - and the energy! - to fit some stuff in between shifts, I'll try and write about it here.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Less 'Woe Is Me' will be good. Its obvious that have a tendency to rely on the negative.

    There has to be something to which you can find the good in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ian
    The blog isn't quite reflective of my real life - a lot of what has been in here up to now has been my getting hidden stuff out of my system, or, at least, my trying to come to terms with the hidden stuff - but I'm certainly going to try and make the blog a bit more upbeat, for my own sanity, if for no other reason.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete