Tuesday 17 August 2010

A relocation, and a trip

I hope I'm not being premature, given that what I'm about to say is only the outcome of a couple of phone calls, and I haven't got anything in writing yet, but it looks very much as though my last shift in my present job will be a late shift on Saturday September 25, and that I'll start my new job on the following Monday. This was after a bit of 'shuttle diplomacy' on my part yesterday and today, when I spoke to my current and next managers, and seemed to persuade them both that the end of next month was suitable for all concerned. On the whole, I'd rather move yesterday, but, if I can get a definite date everyone can agree on, I can start making some plans - after all, my family need to get their mindset organised, quite apart from any consideration of my employers and their office politics. Ironic, given the problems I've had in my current job, that I should finish on a late shift, especially at a weekend - late turn Saturday, incontrovertible proof of man's inhumanity to man!
On a few occasions, my daughter and I have gone off on some weird and wonderful trips, and it seems there might be another one in the offing later this week. It's based on a joke - a 'spoonerism', actually - there's a station down here in Cornwall called Par, and another 'up north' called Cark, and we've often bantered about going from 'Par to Cark', so, unless anything unforeseen happens, we'll be doing just that, on Thursday and Friday. My wife's working, but it's not the sort of thing - heavy travelling, and not vast amounts to see when you get there - that would've appealed to her anyway, so she'll stay at home and cat-sit. There's one interesting sidelight - when my wife was pregnant with my daughter, we spent a weekend in Grange-over-Sands, and walked along the promenade there, and if things go to plan on our trip, my daughter and I will reprise the walk, one that she's only done before as a foetus!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment