Thursday 6 January 2011

Bits and pieces

For the most part, the past couple of days have been pretty mundane, but there have been one or two little incidents of note.
The first was on Tuesday evening, as I said goodbye to my nephew's girlfriend - she was going back home for a few days with her family before going back to college. I said it was a pity that our first encounter had been a relatively fleeting one, to which she replied 'Oh, it's all right, they (my brother's family) have told me your whole life story'. I almost laughed out loud! You literally don't know the half of it, I thought. Even my wife (fortunately!) doesn't know my whole life story, and neither does anyone else. My cousin and best friend probably knows more than anyone, but even he doesn't know everything. A bit of humour, but of a rather mordant variety.
Yesterday was almost a complete write-off, because I was asked to stay on at work for some overtime to cover a combination of sickness and a rostering mix-up, so I ended up working an 12 hour shift, which, with my long distance commuting added, meant that it was around a 15 hour working day for me. The financial exigencies of our situation was the only reason I did it, but it meant that by the time I got back to my brother's last night, all I wanted to do was to crash out, which I duly did, albeit with apologies for treating their house like a hotel.
Today has been a more conventional day, just a straight early shift at work, and back to my brother's by mid afternoon. It was a thoroughly grey, miserable and wet day, but that's more like typical southern British winter weather, rather than the snow and ice we had to contend with last month.
I'll be heading back home for the weekend after work tomorrow, and. given that I'm on late shift next week, I'll have two full days in Cornwall, without having to worry about getting up in the middle of the night to return on Monday. Definitely something to look forward to.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

No comments:

Post a Comment