Saturday 29 January 2011

Winter sports, and honey

Despite coming from a country without a real tradition of winter sports, I've been a fan as long as I can remember. Strictly as a armchair spectator, I have to say - I have enough trouble standing up if there's any snow or ice about, without trying to do anything more elaborate! From December until March, quite a chunk of my weekends are taken up by watching Eurosport's coverage of Alpine and Nordic skiing, ski jumping, biathlon, bobsleigh, skeleton, luge and speed skating - I'll quite happily watch it all. This weekend's bobsleigh and skeleton events are taking place in St Moritz, where there's a cafe/bar inside the 180 degree Horseshoe curve which I think qualifies as the winter sports spectating location that I'd most like to visit, although the Holmenkollen in Oslo, especially this year when the Nordic World Championships are taking place, would be a pretty close second. Maybe one of these days, who knows?
Another local cutie spotted this afternoon, en route to taking my daughter to her stage school - a very attractive face, always the first thing I look for, but the second thing I noticed, and another of my likes, his lovely hair, the colour of honey or perhaps golden syrup, dark honey-blond, anyway, just a delight. Sweetness, in more ways than one.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love winter sports. I used to ski, nothing fancy, but it was always fun, even in the man-made snow that is prevalent in Virginia (yeah, a southern state with 3 ski resorts!).

    I guess the closest I've gotten to a great winter sports mecca was Lake Placid, New York, in the summer after the 1980 Winter Olympics. Got to walk in the bobsled runs, kinda neat to do!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Having spent all these years watching on TV, there are lots of places I'd like to go - the St Moritz bob run is apparently a path through the woods in the summer, given that they build the track anew each winter, so that would be a nice walk - Oslo as I mentioned, Bischofshofen for the Four Hills ski jumping, Wengen for the Lauberhorn downhill, others too numerous to mention. Sadly, I'd need to win the lottery to achieve those ambitions, so I think it'll be me and the sofa for the foreseeable future!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete