Friday 21 January 2011

Natalitial

It's my wife's birthday today, so it was nice to be able to be at home for at least part of it - I got back late this afternoon after a reasonably early exit from work at lunchtime. I even managed, after racking my brain for days, to find a present that was reasonably well received - it had been a bit of a 'what do you get the girl who has everything' kind of scenario, as she couldn't come up with any suggestions as to what she might like, and I'm perennially awful at choosing presents for people, always being afraid of buying something they won't like, with all the concomitant embarrassment that entails. We went out for a family meal earlier this evening, which was nice, although the place my wife chose to go was busy, and we were a bit lucky to get a table - it was only a glorified pub at the end of the day, so the fact that so many tables seemed to be pre-booked was a bit bizarre. Maybe I'm behind the times, but I thought the idea of these pub-restaurants was that you just turned up and were fitted in as and when.
Another positive about today was that I seemed, finally, to have a bit more energy after the washed-out-ness of a lot of this week. It could have something to do with the fact that I fell asleep for the best part of three hours after getting back to my brother's yesterday afternoon, and then having an early night on top of that. I get the impression that my brother thinks that I'm putting my health at risk with my current lifestyle, but, in truth, I haven't got much option even if he's right. The alternative is to completely fail in my responsibilities to my family, as far as I'm concerned. I've got to find a way to make it work, because failure is not an option. The ladies of the house are too important to me for that.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, Sammy, so good to hear that things went well. Must be a tremendous relief to be better rested and to have had what sounds like an excellent day with your wife!

    When I was over there, every place we went we just walked in and were seated and served (if we weren't just bellying up to the bar, which was fun, too). But I went to way out of the way places - Angarreck Inn, Cadgwick Cove, places like that. So I guess I'm a bit out of touch with mainstream England.

    The body can handle a lot. I went for about 2 years on less than 4 hours of sleep a night - getting up at 5AM to meet a Pepsi route driver to help at 5 cents a case, until I reported to my full time job from 4PM until 12AM, then driving 30 minutes home, showering, and trying to get to sleep before 1AM. I suffered, but it was worth it in the end! So stay strong, get as much sleep on weekends as you can, and you'll feel like crap, but fulfill those all important obligations.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    Certainly a better day yesterday, but just being at home rather than being a nomad is always a good basis for a better day. It was nice that my wife had an enjoyable birthday, though.
    I usually get by on 5 or 6 hours sleep a day, but when I can't even get that much, as was the case at the beginning of the week, it starts to get a bit difficult. I think I've also been suffering from a bit of a post viral issue after the illness I had around Christmas, but that now seems, finally, to be subsiding as well. I'll keep battling on, anyway!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete