Saturday 8 January 2011

Moans and groans

Not only do I not know quite what to write, but I can't even think of an apposite title for this post. I'll have to try and work out what to call it while I'm writing. Yesterday and much of today has been - well, it's hard to describe - downbeat, I suppose, things happening which have conspired to flatten my mood. Nothing wildly traumatic, but just....meh, as my daughter would probably say.
It began at work early yesterday morning. I had, shall we say, a difference of opinion with one of my colleagues. No shouting and bawling, or anything too uncivilised, but I wasn't best pleased, because I don't think I was particularly at fault (although I would say that, wouldn't I?!). Not the best way to start a working day, and it seemed to set the tone for what followed. There was certainly an 'atmosphere' for much of the remainder of the shift, which made it more than usually pleasant to get through, and head for home. That was probably the best part of the day, because I had a reasonably smooth journey back to Cornwall, although even that was soured slightly by hearing David Cameron on the radio trying to shamelessly bask in the reflected glory of the victorious Ashes cricket team (apologies to my Australian readers - I'm pleased we won, but I can assure you I don't do gloating) - politicians, hate them or detest them, you can't possibly like them!
I originally intended to post last night, but that was kind of shot down in flames by reading of yet another upset for the blogger I care most about - I spent ages trying to think of a suitably supportive comment, but even that was almost beyond me. I hope that what little I did write was received in the spirit that was intended.
Today got off to almost as bad a start as yesterday, with some more friction between my wife and I, over one of our perennial bugbears, our raddled finances. There are times when I don't think she appreciates where we are, and how much effort it's going to take to rescue the situation. I wouldn't be spending so much time away from home if there was an easier way of doing things, but I'm hoping, and hope is all it is at the moment, that the sacrifices are going to be worth it in the fullness of time. It all calmed down fairly quickly, but it was just another nudge in the downward direction.
I earned myself a few brownie points by trying to catch up with a couple of domestic jobs I'd put off over the holiday period, because I'd spent so much time feeling rotten, but even those good intentions were thwarted to some extent by the fact that something I needed wasn't in stock at our local DIY store, so that I was only able to complete one of the two most pressing issues - it looks like we'll have to go to the 'big city' tomorrow to get what I need to sort the other problem out.
The weekend has now finally reached the stage of being fairly chilled (with the help of some nice Australian Chardonnay!), and I hope that signals the turn of the tide. Compared to many, I have no doubt my niggles are very minor and trivial, so I'll try to avoid too many moaning posts like this one. As ever, no promises, though!

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

PS - There - found a title!
SB

4 comments:

  1. Meh...it's OK, Sammy! This is what the blog is for! Get it out. Let it go. I know the things I've bitched and moaned about seemed a lot less important after putting them down on "virtual paper".

    I've got some Australian Merlot downstairs. I'll have to find that pesky corkscrew that keeps hiding, and open it tonight in honor of all the little crap that just builds up...and let it bring it all down.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I've said often enough in comments on other people's blogs that they shouldn't apologise for saying what they think, but I somehow feel slightly guilty for inflicting my inconsequential gripes on the world. Still, as you say, it's doubtless better out than in, which was always part of the motivation for having a blog at all. I'm not a red wine person, but I hope you enjoy your Merlot!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear Australian wine is being enjoyed around the world! I'm quite partial to a South Australian Shiraz personally. I'm over there next week, I must do a little winery tour while I'm there.

    I'm glad England won the Ashes so convincingly. It has finally put an end to the media arrogance which became insufferable over here after a couple of decades of dominance. It's good to see the wheel turning. Btw if you have problems with David Cameron's basking, it must be better than little Johnny Howard was a few years ago. Truly cringe-worthy, he was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Billy
    Wolf Blass Yellow Label, to be exact - nom, to coin another of my daughter's latest catchwords! I think what annoyed me most about Cameron's comments was that it seemed to be an attempt, and not even a subtle one, to try and deflect attention from the hardship his government's policies are causing many, many people. Having said that, I'm no fan, as was probably pretty obvious, of any politicians at all - I think I'm an anarchist at heart!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete