Saturday 15 January 2011

Struggling

My wife came out with a very perceptive comment an hour or so ago - "We're both struggling at the moment, aren't we?". Tell me about it, I thought. She's got her mum's health uppermost in her mind, but she's also had a less than wonderful time at work recently, having to manage a very awkward subordinate who's been transplanted into her project after a reorganisation, while we've both got the family finances to contend with. My personal issues are well documented here, of course, so there's no need for much recapitulation, but 'struggling' is a good description of that aspect of life as well. I'm not suggesting that we've got any particular right to an easy, problem-free life, but when events have been so relentlessly negative, it starts to feel as though the world is victimising you for no reason other than to be malicious.
Even my daughter has had a bit of a disappointment today, denting her status as the resident 'ray of sunshine' - after prevaricating for months, she finally plucked up the courage to ask the cute boy she's friends with (and wants to be rather more with) at her stage school if he was free to go into 'town' tomorrow - not exactly a date, but heading that way - but he said he was busy. I don't think it was an outright rejection in the 'I'm not interested in you at all' kind of way, from her demeanour when she got home, but it certainly wasn't how she hoped things would turn out. Mind you, if most people took their 'young love' experiences to heart too much, the species would probably die out pretty rapidly, because it usually seems to be traumatic in one way or another.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you're coming from, Sammy. It does seem like the world has chosen you for its toilet. I hope things get better soon. At least you're working, as is your wife, and everyone is healthy. That counts for a lot when the crap hits the fan.

    Your daughter will meet mer Prince Charming, whether it's the current young man, or another down the road. Teenage romance is an amazing thing - their young hearts are resilient. But of course it's traumatic.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    There are many people who are in a far worse position than we are, but it does seem at times that there's some kind of malign conspiracy to make our lives unnecessarily messy and complicated. I suppose, if nothing else, that it proves our relationship must have some solidity to it, because I think the stresses and strains would have caused some sort of fracture otherwise.
    My daughter is, as you suggest, a pretty resilient young lady - she's already planning her next approach! I don't blame her, either - he really is very easy on the eye, and from what she's said, a nice person with it. But if it's not to be, I've no doubt there will be others, because the 'easy on the eye and nice' description equally applies to my daughter, even allowing for a little bit of paternal bias!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete