Monday 31 January 2011

Well, the room's....interesting!

Back to London for my latest working week today, and after my late shift, I made my way up to a pretty central location to find the B & B I'd booked by way of the week's accommodation. As I'd got a cheap deal, I was expecting the room to be pretty basic, but what I got was decidedly not what I imagined - and not necessarily in a bad way. This room was obviously a cellar when the building was constructed, but has been converted into quite a cosy single bedroom within a half-barrel shaped space. It's got a bed, TV if I was interested, a wash basin and storage space, with an adjacent toilet and bathroom shared with just one other room - I knew I was getting shared facilities when I booked, so that's no big deal - and everything appears to be in reasonable condition, so, all in all, for the modest price I've paid, it's perfectly acceptable. The only worry I had when I first saw the room, and more particularly its location below street level, was whether my mobile broadband would work, but that hasn't proved to be a problem, as evidenced by this post. An amusing thought has just struck me - it's a bit like a hobbit hole! Something different, certainly.
It's probably as well that the room has turned out to be better than it might have been, because I certainly wasn't a happy bunny when I was getting ready to leave home this morning. I've been in my new job for just over four months, and it's proved much harder than I expected to come to terms with being away, certainly more difficult than my previous 'working away' experience a few years back. All I can do is grit my teeth, tell myself that it's necessary and in a good cause, and get on with it. I suspect I'll have to do it for a few years, so I'm going to have to learn to make the best of it.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,
    The new room doesn't sound bad at all, especially if it's not too far from your work. I think it would be hard for me to share bathroom facilities though, it's been too long since I've done that. I hope it suits you ok. Hopefully you will get more used to this working arrangement and it won't bother you so much. Hopefully having less hassle and time with the travel to and from work will help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    It's certainly better than the long distance commuting I've been doing recently - less than 20 minutes each way by train, much more user-friendly. I'm not wildly overkeen on a shared bathroom, but, like I said, at the price I'm paying, I can't complain.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty good. I lived in slave kitchens for six years - pretty cheap, too...cash-free, but had to try to keep up the yard and do a few other things...back then it was dial up internet access, but in that place, the electrical service sucked, so I tended to blow up power supplies!

    My dad commuted for several years, much like you are, and we survived. Hopefully your family realizes the sacrifice you are making. I'm not sure we appreciated what dad went through during those years.

    Well cool that it's comfy, and has nice amenities...beats some of the holes I've lived in that were more like the Caves of Mordor!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jay
    Yes, it seems that I've landed on my feet, to some extent - it's tough for me being away from home, as I said, so at least finding somewhere acceptable to stay eases the pain a little.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hobbits seem happy usually, maybe it's a good sign :P
    Though I doubt it would go down well if Bilbo had to run away from Gandalf and the dwarves to find his mobile before they set off for Smaug :P

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello JJ
    I'm not really a Tolkein aficionado, but I have read 'Lord of the Rings', albeit at the third or fourth attempt! Happy - well, intermittently at best, but I do try.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete