Sunday 24 July 2011

More gruelling stuff

Well, I got through it, somehow, but it was hard work, and no mistake. The jitters began while I was still in the shower at around 5:30 this morning, and didn't really finish until I was walking back to the station at 1:00 this afternoon. I'm talking about my first shift back at work, of course, after my recent safety incident. To make matters worse, the position I was covering is notorious for being a nightmare on a Sunday morning, due to a regular rash of procedures like the one I screwed up, and it lived up to its reputation. I suppose it was a double-edged sword, in a way - if you're thrown in at the deep end, and manage to keep your head above the waves, it's at least proof that you can cope, but I was as nervous as the proverbial kitten for most of the shift, more nervous, perhaps, than I've ever been at work. Now I'm back at my accommodation, just about to try and get 2 or 3 hours sleep, because I'm back on nights tonight, part of the lovely, archaic roster that we work to, and that I've mentioned before. At least it should, without wishing to tempt fate in the slightest, be a bit calmer tonight. Whether I will be remains to be seen.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

3 comments:

  1. That's great, Sammy! You made it through a terrible shift and came out on top. Now you need to start compiling all the research and evidence that shows that employees who work oddly spaced shifts are never as alert and focused as those who work regular shifts. There is a wealth of research that backs up the idea that working a night, then sleeping all day, then working an evening, etc. messes with your biological clock and prevents "good sleep"...making confronted with the evidence, the management would consider changes to a ridiculous schedule.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you made it through it ok. As everyone says now, 'It will get better' or at least easier. Just try to keep focused on completing all the things necessary to insure safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jay & Brian
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm hoping, having scaled the first, rather high hurdle, it will get progressively easier. This 'double-shift Sunday' business, while a bit of a pain, has its upside - it means that we get more weekends off, overall, and it only crops up 4 times in the 30 week roster. Shift work is never going to fit perfectly with the human metabolism, the trick is to find the 'least worst' option, and, taken in its totality, our roster isn't too bad.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete