Monday 21 October 2013

Christmas for two in the big city

I was going to say 'in Surrey' until I realised that there was a loose end or two - while Christmas dinner will be in Surrey, geographically, at least, the accommodation, because it's the other side of the Thames, is in what used to be Middlesex, and as Middlesex hasn't had a formal existence since 1965, it's simply less complicated to cut through the rather pedantic nomenclature and just say 'London'! Anyway, before I get ridiculously bogged down, the upshot of this evening is that K is going to come up for Christmas, we're going to stay in a Thames-side hotel, albeit of the generic 'Lodge' type, and have Christmas dinner in my 'London local'. My girl finally committed herself to a decision - not the easiest thing to wring from her! - when I spoke to her at teatime, and I had everything booked and confirmed within the hour. I spoke to my ex as well. albeit a little later, and explained the arrangements. She got rather upset - sad upset, rather than angry upset - unfortunately, even though she knew what was in the offing, which wasn't my intention in the slightest, because, as I told her, I still care a great deal about her, but, ultimately, it was K's decision, and not one I'd put any pressure on her to make in my 'favour', as it were. If anything, I'd been trying to nudge her in her mother's direction, given my greater self-sufficiency, or insularity, or whatever you want to call it, but I have to admit I'm pleased with the way things have panned out. but not at all in any sense involving schadenfreude. Of course, there are things that could happen in the interim that could shoot it all down in flames anyway, particularly things with a Mancunian slant, but, given a fair wind, Christmas is certainly something I'm now looking forward to.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

4 comments:

  1. BLOODY AWESOME!!!! That's great, Sammy!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      I'm pleased, as I said, but I'd still rather that my ex found herself somewhere to go, too - she said yesterday that she'd just stay on her own, but there's really no need, she's got friends and family, and she's got a car to get to wherever she would need to go. Still, if I'm being honest to the point of selfishness, her Christmas plan really isn't my problem.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete
    2. Hi there, Sammy

      This is great news - I'm really glad to hear it. I hope you both have a wonderful day.

      Take care

      Mark

      Delete
    3. Hello Mark
      It should be a good get-together - I'm just hoping nothing intervenes in the interim to spoil the plans.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete