Tuesday 22 October 2013

Truism

I saw this in a comment on a blog post just now, described as a truism - 'to create an atheist requires a religious education'. As I've doubtless said before, that's certainly the case with me - I was exposed, in my formative years, to far more religion than the great majority of my peers, by dint of being a church chorister for five years, and, without wishing to sound conceited, being bright enough to actually think about what I was listening to twice each Sunday. Those thoughts led me, by the time my voice broke, at around 14, and I left singing behind me, to conclude that religious belief was a pile of irrational nonsense. Almost 40 years on, that conclusion still holds for me.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Interesting truism! I admit I've had trouble reconciling my Christian upbringing with things that have happened later in life. I don't consider myself as religious as I am spiritual. Not sure what sort of person that makes me. I certainly don't go around hating anyone, more I prefer to not judge anyone, and treat everyone as I prefer to be treated. Whether you believe in a higher power or not, someone who lives by those rules is OK in my book.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      Thinking about it again today, I guess the 'truism' is logical, in the sense that to truly disbelieve in something, you need a reasonable understanding of what it is that you're being asked to believe in the first place. It's certainly possible, in my opinion, for someone to be 'good without god', and the rules you expound would undoubtedly be a big step in that direction, for believers and non-believers alike.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete