Wednesday 20 April 2011

Fred Karno's @!?$*%# Circus!

Or not even that organised! I was packed and literally within five minutes of leaving home to head back to my (hardly-used) new accommodation when my phone rang. It was my manager, telling me that I wasn't working tomorrow after all, and that I wasn't required until Friday. Except that he now wants to see me at 4:00 tomorrow afternoon for the aforementioned 'quick chat' before I'm let loose on the job again, presumably because he doesn't want to turn out at 7:00 in the morning on a bank holiday, as it is on Friday. I told him when he rang to reinstate me while I was sitting on the train at Paddington yesterday afternoon that I wasn't scheduled to be working tomorrow, but he was insistent that I was. If I had any hair to spare I'd tear it out! I suppose it could have been worse - at least I was still at home, rather than actually en route, and it means I can spend another night in my own bed, but it's somehow symptomatic of the whole shambolic affair.
I'm very much hoping that this is the final twist in this sorry tale, so by way of drawing a line under things, I'd like to thank those who've been so supportive of me over the past few days. Mark, Jay, Brian, Joe, Randy, Micky, Daniel and Billy, thank you all very much for your care and friendship. I really do appreciate it.

Love & best wishes
Sammy B

6 comments:

  1. Your manager certainly seems to be a real screwball. I sure do hope he won't be interfering in your life and work much after you get started back again. I'm glad he caught you before you actually left the house. Try to keep your cool. We've all had to deal with incompetent people in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brian
    It's not so much a case of losing my cool, as a complete 'facepalm' job. It's not even good enough to be called incompetent!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just eat less salt (which apparently winds you up and shortens your life), drink less tea and not much coffee at all (coz caffeine does very similar) and just calm down.

    He's the boss - and you already have his support. It's not your fault he didn't bother to look at the work schedule - but don't blame him either. It's the manager's prerogative to be a complete prat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Sammy. Things will get back to normal soon. Have a good trip tomorrow, and we'll look forward to the postscript (you know there will have to be one) when you get a chance!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Micky
    I can't possibly drink less tea - I never drink it at all! It's ironic, though, that in a week where my competence has been impugned, I have to put up with nonsense like this. I'm calm enough, just gobsmacked.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jay
    I really, really hope there's nothing further to say on this topic - tedious normality from now on, please!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete